Search This Blog

Monday, March 7, 2011

Parmesan roasted Lobster (Homard rôti au parmesan)

Now that I live in Boston I can eat as much lobster as I want for a reasonable price. In France I could never imagine doing that. Lobster is very expensive and is considered a luxury good. We occasionally eat it for Christmas or New Year. I probable had more lobster in the year and a half that I spent in Boston than in my whole life before that. Now that I can enjoy lobster without thinking about how much money I spent for it, I have been thinking about finding a good way to cook it. Everytime I have lobster, I enjoy it but it never blows me away. I think the meat is very chewy and is not as good as crab meat for example or a good fish. Also, in Boston it is usually served with melted butter and this is just something that I don't get. Dipping your lobster in pure fat is not a concept that suits my French tastes...

So I finally decided to get out of the traditional boiled lobster served with coleslaw and fries that all the cheap seafood joints will serve you and cook my own lobster. I went to the best fish market ever, New Deal Fish Market. This place has awesome seafood and I'm lucky enough to live 5 minutes away. I bought two delicious alive and kicking lobsters and looked online for a recipe. At that time I was not following all the cooking blogs yet, so I searched my favorite French recipes website and I found this recipe for Parmesan roasted lobster. I had to make a few adjustments to the original recipe to reach the desired result but in the end the lobster was delicious and a great change to the traditional plain boiled lobster. Of course the recipe calls for boiling the lobster at the beginning, so you have to be brave and throw the kicking lobster in the water, and opening it afterwards is not an easy job either, but in the end it is delicious. Try it and tell me what you think!



Parmesan Roasted Lobster:

Ingredients:

2 lobsters of around 2lbs each
1 cup of Parmesan
4 tbsp of xeres vinegar
1/2 stick butter
1 pinch of paprika
1 pinch Cayenne pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large heavy bottomed sauce pan, bring 3L of water to a boil. Throw the lobsters in the water for two minutes. Drain them and cut them in half. Dispose the lobsters on a baking sheet, meat on top. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and mix it with the vinegar. Add salt, pepper, Cayenne pepper and paprika. Pour the flavored butter on the lobsters, let them rest for 5 minutes. Sprinkle some parmesan on the lobsters and roast the lobsters in the oven. The original recipe said to leave the lobsters 3 to 4 minutes in the oven, but in my case the lobsters were really undercooked so I left them around 10 minutes and they were perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment